Our Core Purpose
The Geelong Community Foundation exists to make a lasting difference to people in the Geelong Region.
The Geelong region has needs which are not being met from other funding sources. The Geelong Community Foundation encourages individuals, families, corporates and other organisations to make donations to meet these needs, now and in the future. These donations are retained as capital by the Foundation to build a perpetual and substantial fund for philanthropic purposes, with only the income from this capital used to make local community grants.
- Encourage giving by providing advice and support to donors
- Manage and invest funds prudently, to achieve fund growth and good returns
- Make grants for the long-term benefit of our community and evaluate their effectiveness
- Provide a simple, cost effective way to make substantial donations
- Be part of new initiatives and achievements in community building
- Maintain professional standards, service and transparency to the community
Current issues facing Geelong
The region has some real challenges facing it. Some of the current challenges identified are:
- A skills and learning deficit, with lower post-school qualifications and lower school retention rates
- Workforce skills shortages along with loss of employment in a number of our traditional manufacturing industries
- Ageing of the population causing a “crisis” in relation to demand on local services
- Youth at risk from substance abuse and a range of health related issues
- More needs to be done in the most disadvantaged suburbs of the region